What's the Plan?
Our Objectives and Targets
Manchester sets its climate change objectives and targets based on the latest science and the independent recommendations of UK climate change experts. We've been doing this since 2009.
Our objectives and targets cover two aspects of climate change:
1) Zero carbon: reducing our CO2 emissions
2) Adapting and increasing our resilience to the changing climate
Further information on our objectives and targets is available here.
Meeting Our Targets - Manchester Climate Change Framework 2020-25
Manchester has adopted a different approach to other cities. We don’t have a single plan setting out how we will meet our climate change targets. Our approach is based on every resident and every organisation in the city making and delivering their own commitments and action plans.
Our approach will be set out in the Manchester Climate Change Framework for 2020-25, which will be published by end-February 2020. Further information is available here.
Actions by Every Resident and Organisation
Manchester Climate Change Agency has developed 15 actions that we need every resident, school, college, business and organisation to take.
There are actions that you can take right now (for example walking and taking more public transport, eating less meat), and others that will take time to plan for (for example, retrofitting your home or office, shifting to an electric vehicle). The key thing is that we need EVERYONE to take these actions. Find out more here.
Supporting and Enabling Action – actions by Manchester City Council, Greater Manchester Combined Authority, UK Government and Other Agencies
There are currently many reasons why Manchester residents and organisations can't fully deliver the 15 actions we need them to. Insufficient funding for retrofitting homes. A lack of safe walking and cycling routes in many communities. Poor public transport making the private car the easiest option for travelling to work. Addressing these barriers requires urgent action from Manchester City Council, the Greater Manchester Combined Authority UK Government and other agencies.
- Manchester City Council: will publish their Climate Change Action Plan for 2020-25 in March 2020. In the meantime their current plan for 2016-20 is available from www.manchester.gov.uk/climatechange
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority: the Greater Manchester Environment Plan 2019-24 sets out the latest commitments www.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk/what-we-do/environment/
- UK Government: the current Government's manifesto (2019) is available here, including the commitment to 'Reach Net Zero by 2050 with investment in clean energy solutions and green infrastructure to reduce carbon emissions and pollution'. Further details on Government policies and strategies are available from www.gov.uk/environment/climate-change-energy.
Is there something missing from these plans that would help you, your community, your school, or your business to act? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to your local councillor or MP here.
Manchester's Previous Plans
For information on Manchester's previous plans visit here.